Wednesday, November 09, 2005

No Direction Home

Did you know that I'm a big Bob Dylan fan? I call him Bobby D. As if I really know the guy personally. There was this documentary on tv about him last night. It was only Part 1, and I wonder when Part 2 is going to show. It was Scorsese's "No Direction Home". Oh I just found out that Part 2 is only going to be shown next week. :-( too bad, I'm not going to be around then.

But anyway, last night's show was the first time we see Dylan at the present time commenting on his life back then when he first started out. And it's so amusing to see that he himself didn't really know how to explain what was behind his lyrics. He just wrote them. He said he wasn't trying to be topical or political, it just ended up sounding that way, and I believe him. I think political bands that try too hard to be political don't end up being popular, or their message is lost. But what Dylan did back then with his songs, he had this magical way of making the lyrics last, and you can relate them to what's happening now as to back then.

My favorite part last night was when this interviewer was interviewing dinner about "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" when it was first released. He wrote it during the time of the Cuban missile crisis during Kennedy's time in office. So the interviewer says something like, "It's really something you singing about the Atomic rain..." and Dylan says, "No, no, it's not Atomic rain, it's just a Hard Rain." And I totally get what he means. It's just a hard rain, a really hard rain. The type of rain when it falls will hurt you.

I liked that part. Because being a poet, ppl will often misinterpret the things that I write. They'll think I meant it one way, when what I really meant was something different altogether. But it's okay. It's really up to the reader to interpret it any way they want, just as long as they don't quote me as saying that their interpretation is correct.

No comments: