Monday, January 31, 2005

Belalang Iblis

Last night, for some reason, I felt sleepy at around 9.30 pm and went to bed extra early. Even as I type now I don't exactly remember what it was I did that made me feel so tired yesterday. However, around 1.30 am, I woke up to the noise of a grasshopper jumping across my bed and onto my bedside table... it was rather big-sized for a grasshopper, which some ppl like to call crickets, and was a yellowish-copper color. I was drowsy, and a little disturbed by it's presence, and I messaged my boyfriend about it. After he had comforted me and persuaded me that it was okay to go back to sleep, I dozed off again.

When I got back home from my morning's errands, I called him again and told him that the grasshopper was still in my room.
"What color is it?" he asked.
"Yellowish."
"Yellow? Hah.. itu blalang iblis! Pegi buang." Hah, that's the devil's grasshopper. Throw it out, he said.
"Apsal panggil blalang iblis?" I asked, why is it called devil's grasshopper, "Isn't grasshopper supposed to be lucky? (according to the Chinese)."
"Tak. Kalau dia hijau, then natural. Kalau kuning tu orang kampung panggil blalang iblis." No, if it's green then it's normal, but if it's yellow, then the kampung people call it blalang iblis.
He told me to throw it out and not to ask any more questions.
So using the sea-shell container that Hema and Kiran bought me in Sabah, I scooped the belalang, or grasshopper, from where it clung at my curtains and pushed it out the window. Making sure it was safely on the ground of my driveway, I shut the window. And that was the end of the blalang iblis.

Well, upon further research online, I found that a lot of ppl in this country are in the view that the belalang iblis is green with red eyes, and will watch you. They may even have a hairy back. It seems that these belalang iblis see things the same way a human does, and not like an insect. So now, I am unsure whether or not that grasshopper was this reputed type of belalang iblis.

1 comment:

Muddy said...

This grasshopper/praying mantis ordeal happened to me too. And for strange reasons, you do feel tired around their presence. Should you believe their supernatural powers and kill them? Well, then, spray spray away!