Saturday, February 19, 2005

Weddings

You know, I've been to a lot of weddings before, and I must admit the biggest wedding I've ever been to was my own sister's, which was humongous, but it's always the weddings of your own friends that touch you the most. I mean, who cares about those cousins and stuff like that... but today, when I saw my friend walking on that red carpet towards the pelamin with the kompang in the background, yeah, I felt a little teary eyed... a little emotional. Cos this is my friend you know. Someone I knew before I met his gf (who is now his wife). And like he seemed so young and small in that wedding outfit, and here he is about to dive into living with the same person for the rest of his life and starting a family... there's something tender and touching about that.

It's been a long time since I've seen those guys... this particular set of friends. I got several different sets of friends. Highschool friends, uni friends, diplomat kids friends, etc. But there's something about seeing friends who've helped you through some really tough times again that make things more memorable, especially when they're getting married. hehehe. I thought I'd shed a tear or two, but I didn't. Like you're so happy for them, you feel a little emotional. You feel touched that they even remembered to invite you to their wedding after so many years of no contact. And to see their face recognize yours when you're standing in the crowd watching them walk down the aisle... that's a truly touching moment.

I care about my friends, even if sometimes I don't show it often enough, or I don't say it or call them enough. I care about them a lot. It's difficult when you've graduated and working and moved on with life to keep in touch with everyone. It's difficult. Sometimes it may even be awkward to meet up again after so many years because you find that you've changed. But I do appreciate those friends that still remember me, and I do appreciate those friends that still accept me for who I am even though I'm different from how I used to be. So I was thinking to myself in the car, on the way back home from the ceremony, when it comes time to my wedding, I want to invite everybody, and everybody sure is a lot ppl! I'm going to have to figure out where to seat them all, if they even show up at all! But I would be very happy if I could share my big day with my family and my closest friends. Even those ones that I haven't met in years. You're still in my heart. I hope one day we can reunite on a happy day.

No comments: